[wp-hackers] RE: 2.1 Ongoing Work

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Thu Oct 26 15:15:05 GMT 2006

Andrew Krespanis wrote:
> +1 for links (or bookmarks), -1 for blogroll.
> Blogroll for me are links to the latest n posts from people whose
> blogs I subscribe -- a rolling list of blogs.
>
> Blogroll means both too many things to some and nothing to others; and
> is also just a furthering of the tacky verbifying of the buzzword
> 'blog'. (which, years later, still sounds too much like bog -- slang
> for excrement)
>
> -Andrew
>
> On 10/25/06, Les Bessant <les at lcb.me.uk> wrote:

Heya!
Blog as short for weblog is fine with me and a well known concept by now
( no crap :)
In my opinion "Links" is to prefer over "Blogroll" as the overall concept,
as links could link to anything, even a coffee machine.

I am convinced though, that links should have categories,
and that one of the predefined categories should be "Blogroll",
as this is also very well known to bloggers.

For newbies much of what you can do with your blog is unknown,
and to use all features of a blogging platform, they'll have to learn,
what it all means.

When I started, some things confused me ( some still do ;).
What's a feed? RSS? Atom? Ping back? etc.
Now we even have widgets - oh my!

/Petit