[wp-hackers] Flash uploader

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 13 11:52:39 GMT 2006

> You can do some neat things when doing uploads through flash:
>
> http://previous.emllabs.com/article.php?articleId=121
>
> http://www.tinywebgallery.com/en/tfu/tfu_overview.htm
>
> http://www.bubbleshare.com/
> (click create new story album)
>
> I really like the idea of a progress indicator.
>
> --
> Matt Mullenweg
>   http://photomatt.net | http://wordpress.org
> http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com

This wouldn't be a bad idea with the capabilities of Actionscript.
Integrating it with TinyMCE is also easily done through
Actionscript/Javascript integration. The only big problem I see right now is
that the file uploader class in Flash is a feature only found in Flash 8.
Adobe currently only has Flash Player version 7 available for Linux. They
are talking about releasing a Version 9 for Linux, but who really knows
if/when that will happen (there was talk for a long time about a version 8
for Linux but apparently Adobe scrapped that idea). This means, for the time
being at least, that the uploader won't work on Linux/Solaris systems, so it
would be best if we offered both methods that can either be selected via the
options panel or through a Javascript flash version check (or a combination
of the 2).

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net