[wp-hackers] SQLite support for WP

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Oct 9 09:55:10 GMT 2006

___/ On Mon 09 Oct 2006 03:29:10 BST, [ Robert Deaton ] wrote : \___

> On 10/8/06, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/8/06, Robin Adrianse <shorty114 at shorty114.net> wrote:
>>> I've used ADOdb a bit too and it's almost transparent, at least what I did
>>> with it.
>>
>> Okay, given what has been discussed in re: ADOdb support, what
>> possible downsides are there to making WP rely upon ADO, with the
>> obvious exceptions of 1) reliance upon yet another outside package and
>> 2) potential performance concerns?
> Not potential. Definite.
>
> Size is another concern. Adodb would almost double the size of WP.
> Rewriting every query to work with Adodb, which means rewriting the
> whole method for which we handle dates, which is MySQL DATETIME
> reliant.
>
> Other possible concerns are upgrade path if this was to (for some
> unknown reason) ever make it into the core. Personally, I am -1 for
> adodb.

Since you mentioned upgrades, I guess plugins could be an issue
as well.   It would be nice  if an  abstraction  layer has been
there since day 1.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E