[wp-hackers] Wordpress and Web Standards

petit at petitpub.com petit at petitpub.com
Fri Oct 6 19:14:21 GMT 2006

Pierre-Henri Lavigne <lavigne at getphuture.com>: says:

> Howdy !
>
> I'm Peter, a 23 years old guy, currently a web developer - xhtml -
> css for a french web agency. I'm a member from the Evolt and the Web
> Standards Group Community. Outside my official work, I'm trying to
> saturate my brain about web knowledges, and to develop slowly the
> Eight O'Clock project - https://sourceforge.net/projects/eightoclock/
> - to make wordpress a professional tool as stable and useful as Spip
> for example even if wordpress was developed in the mind of blogging.
>
> I'm contacting you to convince you to upgrade to some web standards
> basics. wow. I think I will list some specific subjects later.

Please go ahead and do just that. WordPress is fairly standards
compliant as it
stands. Third party additions to WordPress may not be, but for the WP core and
default themes WP is quite good.

> Anyway, I could start with the RSS Feed subject. I think the
> following article and its links explains truly the way of using a
> unique format for the rss feed:
> http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/05/25/Pick-ONE

<snipped a bit here>
I read the referred article(s) and the comments. I stay unconvinced thogh.
Why is it a bad thing, that I offer more than one feed format?
Feed formats are still under development and test, many clients can cope with
more than one format, and the debate on what is effective goes on.
Religion should have nothing to do with selection of format.

Well, what do you say?

/Petit