Why not upgrade? was (Re: [wp-hackers] Maintenance release, first gate of "is the issue major?")

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 20:01:59 GMT 2006

On 5 Oct 2006, at 20:27, Computer Guru wrote:

> Yeah, it's very simple.
> You *don't* send a ping.
>
> You do *all* the checks locally. It's what I do with my programs
> and scripts, and it works great.
> Just have the local WP install grab a text file off the automattic
> server that contains the latest version (for instance grab
> version.php from the repo), and *locally* compare the version in
> that file to the version installed.
>
> That simple. No one ever knows what version _you_ are running, and
> the only information being exchanged is what version is the latest
> that exists.
>
> I think that addresses the privacy concerns?

No that doesn't really.

What does is using the privacy option builtin to 2.1 as a way of not
doing the checks.  This really protects the privacy of the install by
never contacting the central server - and thereby never sending any
info about it's existance.

The checks themselves won't need to provide the current version info
to the central server but instead request the current version from it.

I intend to update the patch for the version update info ticket in
the next few days to implement this for the core.

westi
--
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk