[wp-hackers] Replacing TinyMCE with Xinha

Andy Beard list.andy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:07:21 GMT 2006

Here is a semi-noob look at this, as I class myself as technically aware
rather than a programmer.

Most of my installations are running WP2.0.4 now. I didn't upgrade to 2.0.5
because there was a reported bug that slipped through, and whilst Mark
created a plugin to fix it, as a user I would expect 2.0.5.1 or 2.0.6 to be
released a few days later to clear up the problem.

I haven't received notification of this, so I am still running old code. I
don't live in Trac, but maybe the 2.0.5 distribution was patched without
notification.

I tried using TinyMCE for a while, but after a number of disasters with the
formatting of posts that were only visible after they were published, I
don't trust it enough to use it on any live blog, and I haven't got a huge
amount of time for testing it specifically to be able to provide useful bug
reports.

If something works sufficiently well to use it on a day to day basis, and I
can just drop someone an email to report a bug rather than wading through
trac, I am much more inclined to report bugs.

As an example of that, I have reported 2 important bugs to MyBlogLog in the
past couple of days, and each time I received a nice email back, actually
from the owner thanking me.
In Firefox there is some form of automatic reporting, I don't have to go to
a special place to send crash data.

I don't expect personal thankyou notes for reporting Wordpress bugs, but
maybe there is a need for an easier reporting method. A built in bug report
form and someone at the other end who enters data into trac?

WYSIWYG editors are good for noobs, if they don't make a total abortion of
simple code that might prove impossible for a noob to fix.

Here is an example I just created

http://andybeard.eu/2006/08/backdated-post-to-demo-tinymce-bug.html

I stopped using TinyMCE when this happened to me twice when I didn't notice
it until the next day, and then further to that when I had to manually go
through 2 long posts fixing all the junk strong tags that had been added.
Actually one of those posts I ended up re-editing for strong tags 3 times
before it was finally published.
I also had to go through the added pain of working out how to persuade
Feedburner to refetch my feed after it had been already notified, but
hopefully before the feed had been picked up in too many places and cached.

The bug doesn't display in the WYSIWYG editor, only in the preview, but if
all you have done is changed some line spacing, there is a good chance you
won't pick it up before publishing. A newbie wouldn't know how to fix it.

Maybe things like this are fixed in the version of TinyMCE that is in 2.0.5
but because I am not inclined to update to a version that has been reported
as being bugged in other ways, I won't find out.

If it was a plugin, I am sure I would have updated it by now