[wp-hackers] Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat Nov 25 12:37:41 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Secondly, the fact that any contributions to the forums are these days
> pretty much one-time things. Let's face it, the search sucks. People
> repost questions because in searching they find nothing useful, never
> have, and until something drastically changes, they never will. This
> is a problem with all forum software, and though I find it interesting
> that we use a forum so that the history can be searched, I personally
> think in its current form it is completely useless and stupid and you
> might as well have a WordPress Support mailing list.

Before this goes unchallenged, I decided to take the error message from
that thread and type it into the GIANT search box above the fold on the
forums home page.

Field 'post_content_filtered' doesn't have a default value

Resulted in this search:

http://wordpress.org/search/Field+%27post_content_filtered%27+doesn%27t+have+a+default+value?forums=1

I then clicked the first 5 results, in order:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/49232
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/51298
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/75879
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/73649
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/82175

*Every single thread* has an answer to the question. For comparison,
here is a Google [site:wordpress.org/support] for the same terms:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awordpress.org%2Fsupport+Field+%27post_content_filtered%27+doesn%27t+have+a+default+value&btnG=Search

The first 3 results are almost the same, just with #2 and #3 switched.
The first result is exactly the same.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com