[wp-hackers] Revamping the <!--nextpage--> Pagination Function

Andy Beard list.andy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 05:14:02 GMT 2006

> So cause you are working on a commercial plugin you don't want someone
> else will talk or write a plugin that do something similar but it's
> full GPL?
>
> The solution is you unsubscribe this list so you won't risk to read
> something "wrong" :)

There is a saying "walls have ears", this list is open and often is the only
source of information on specific searches regarding Wordpress development.

Lots of people on the list are paid consultants who earn a living developing
Wordpress sites, and the plugins they release are often based upon a
solution they use for their clients.

I am not a programmer - I come up with ideas of what I want to do with
Wordpress, and pay a team of programmers to develop the ideas for me.

My own usage of the plugins will not cover the development costs. 300 hours
of programming (for one plugin) at outsourcing rates still adds up.

Some of what my programmers will be producing will be released free of
charge. It might still not be GPL, because if I release something as GPL, I
might not be able to use the same code in a non GPL product.

I am an ethical guy, saw mention of something that was similar to what I am
working on, and thought it best to mention it, to prevent any problems in
the future.

I am not saying I will be copying ideas. I was past the conceptual stage
with my programmers months ago.

2 Weeks ago I actually froze the project, because I saw a need for another
plugin, and that plugin will be provided for free, though probably not GPL
because of the code sharing problem.

Hopefully that relatively simple plugin will be finished on Friday, and my
programmers can go back to work on my other projects.

I don't think leaving the list is the solution. If everyone who earn money
in some way from Wordpress left the list it would be pretty empty or not
exist.

I believe it was the ethical thing to do to disclose my interests in a
similar project.