[wp-hackers] semantic web features?

Paul Mitchell wp-hackers at paul-mitchell.me.uk
Fri May 19 23:29:53 GMT 2006

AJ Chen wrote:
> There are plenty of discussions about what semantic web is or is not.
> Those
> are fun to read, and I'm not going to try to make it more confused.
> But, I
> do want to say how I approach it.
I only have time for so much fun, more's the pity. I'm aware of the
quantity of information out there about the "semantic web". I've read a
fair amount and I think we're all pretty much after the same thing.
> I believe the web can become even more effective for data sharing and
> consumption if the data are also published in
> a more structured way that computer can easily understand and thus
> process.
Yes, that's what I'm after, at the human->computer interface. The
semantics are in the wetware, which is notoriously lazy, so I'm
experimenting with ways to coax it out gently.
> An example is blog feed using RSS1.0, which is in RDF format. Semantic
> web
> is evolving rapidly.  It will make sense to most people when it hits one
> killer application that has broad impact to the world.
I believe the blog /is/ the killer application of the web. An universal
easy-to-use multimedia personal programmable publishing machine, of
which RSS is just one content type of many it can produce on demand.
What more can you have? Your mind available for direct download? ;)
> It's not difficult to imagine different plugins can be developed for
> different groups of users who require different ontologies to describe
> their
> parts of the world.
I'm doing dive logs.
> I'm learning more about wordpress design and code now in order to
> have the specifics for implementation.  I would appreciate any light
> you can
> shed on this topic.
The learning curve is steep but the view from the top is goddamn
beautiful. If you would like to examine any of my plugins for ideas (or
laughs) please ask.  My major unfinished works can be found at
http://www.libertini.net/libertus/wordpress-plugins/

If you have questions about the voodoo of the internal mechanics of
WordPress, this is the list to ask.

--
Paul Mitchell, Coding and Crafting Quality Software
http://www.libertini.net/libertus/category/software/