[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Wed May 10 15:58:50 GMT 2006

> I can spot an MT powered site easier than some using WP.
> Tags or not I find the look of their blogs to be no better, no more
> innovative so why compete with something that performs no better?
>
> P.

This isn't about "look". Again, another gross misunderstanding of the
core issue from someone close to the heart of Wordpress. There have
been lots of good, valid, sensible opinions expressed here (including
some in that vast tome of mine that appears to have been ignored,
alas).

It's not about competing with MT. It's not just about new users. It's
not just about <?php foo(); ?>. It's about the fundamentals of how the
app should template itself, and the various philosophies wrestling
within.

Much of HOW WP has developed over the past n years is down to the fact
its templates have all been inline PHP. Look at the plugin
architecture! Look at the Loop, the single most incomprehensible thing
to anyone coming from any other system! These things are MAJOR and
shouldn't be flippantly dismissed, as usual, as "we're fine as we
are/why change?" (cf the whole documentation issue).

Seriously, Podz, get a grip of the conversation thread.