[wp-hackers] Porting Wordpress to PostgreSQL

John Joseph Bachir jjb at ibiblio.org
Wed Mar 22 08:05:22 GMT 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Andrew Krespanis wrote:

> What kind of cheapo servers is your company using and where can I get some?! :D
> I can't speak for anyone else, but my day job doesn't have MySQL
> because our DBA team are all Oracle and that's just the way it is.
> Currently the estimate for a 99.xx% uptime MySQL box in our internal
> data centre with support and nightly backup is AU$10,000 per year...
> yeah, PER YEAR! :-O
> There's no way it would cost $10,000 of my time to port WP. Even if it
> did, it's a one time investment with periodic upgrades, not the same
> fee every year.

Okay okay, I was assuming there was an existing mySQL service... :)

Regarding the query caching, a couple questions.. [1] mySQL has query
caching, so why doesn't it benefit from what you are talking about? [2]
how does the abstraction layer take advantage of query caching beyond what
the DBMS does at its end anyway? Do some systems have more elaborate APIs
beyond just associating queries with results?