[wp-hackers] 2.next - plugin options

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Mar 8 18:24:04 GMT 2006

Mark Jaquith wrote:
> I think that relegating plugin options to a special plugin menu is
> unintuitive.  For example, see where Akismet's menu item is located.
> The beauty of WordPress is that it can be so drastically altered or
> enhanced with plugins.  Plugin menus should be in natual places.  The
> vast majority should be under Options or Manage.  If you're changing the
> way the plugin functions, changing its settings, it should go under
> Options.  If you're manipulating data in some way, it should go under
> Manage.  A user shouldn't have to think "hm, is this core or additional
> functionality?" when using the menu system.

Actually Akismet was put under Plugins very deliberately. It was
originally under "Options".

People would activate the plugin, and not think anything had changed.
Seeing a new menu item pop up was comforting and gave them a logical
next place to go.

Also many plugins don't tell you where their menus are going. Ever
activate a plugin and then click around 2-4 menu items to see where it
stuck its stuff?

"Manage" is a little to abstract, we could logically put *everything*
under manage. I think we should move the most used things to the top.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com