[wp-hackers] AJAX

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 02:13:33 GMT 2006

On 6/29/06, Elliott Franklin Cable <mail at avxw.com> wrote:
> I don't understand people like this >.<
>
> Sure, AJAX isn't *everything* people crack it up to be, but... it's
> not useless, it's still pretty cool, it's worth integrating in a
> tasteful measure... i jsut don't understand people who fall in with
> either extreme on most subjects....
>
> On Jun 29, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Robert Deaton wrote:
> > Sounds like more useless Web 2.0 OMGAJAX bloat to me.

I haven't had time to read this whole thread, so whatever I say may be
duplicated. Sorry, but I'm not reading through 19 pages of e-mails to
defend myself.

The original point of this wasn't really necessarily an attack on
simply AJAX, but more on the whole Web 2.0 and "Everything needs AJAX"
(even if its just javascript they'll call it AJAX, proof: read
http://digg.com for 1 week.) The point being, why do we need two boxes
and drag and drop to enable and disable plugins. Is an enable and
disable button not intuitive enough. Hell, do with what the rest of
the admin panel does and have it fade out nicely and be disabled with
AJAX if you must, but Drag and Drop instead of a disable vs enable
buttons is the point where things become rediculous. AJAX isn't a bad
thing, just like the many other buzzwords aren't bad things, but there
comes a point where everything's just overboard and silly.

--
--Robert Deaton