[wp-hackers] Enforce Alpahabetical Ordering of Plugin & Options Page

Ryan Scheuermann ryan at concept64.com
Mon Jun 19 03:04:00 GMT 2006

Enforcing alphabetical tab ordering seems unnecessary just to help
organize an edge case user with 15 tabs.  Although with the addition of
the Privacy tab, the Options tabs are becoming cluttered...

Personally, I'd like to see the ability to add plugin tabs between the
WP tabs.  The arrays used to create the menus already use numbered array
keys (incremented by 5 each), it wouldn't be a huge change to allow a
plugin to specify where they want their tab added.  I presume this
incrementing by 5 was done with the idea that plugins could add tabs
between, or am I reading that wrong?  I don't see the reasoning for
sorting the menus and submenus by array key if plugins can't specify
their own order anyway.

For instance, "add_menu_page" and "add_submenu_page" could have an
additional "order" parameter, and if that key number was already taken,
just increment it until a free key is found.  Is there any harm in
allowing it?

If the code was implemented for specifying where to add the options tab,
you could just as easily implement your own preferred ordering
manually.  Put the more pertinent ones toward the front...

Just my thoughts, best regards,

Ryan Scheuermann

----
Concept 64, Inc. | Phone: 610.349.0703 | Web: www.concept64.com