[wp-hackers] anyone looked at Chameleon closely?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Tue Jun 6 20:58:02 GMT 2006

Actually, the whole plugins licensing thing was a topic I was trying to
avoid. :)

The section you noted is really referring to 'the work' meaning 'the work
that was originally GPL licensed and modified'.  Plugins can obviously be
'works' of their own, separate from 'the work' that is WordPress (just my
opinion -- there are opposing ones...).  However, a later section notes you
could have GPL and non-GPL 'works' side by side, distributed together, and
that's fine by the GPL, it doesn't 'taint' either set.  At what point are
'two works' actually one is a gray area at best.  There are some black and
white areas when it comes to compiled code, but even with binaries there are
some grat areas... And the slightly gray goes completely blurry gray when
talking of interpreted code, let alone 'plugins'.

Some will say plugins should all be GPL, some say they can be whatever
licensing they want.  At the end of the day, there is little to no legal
precedence covering GPL, let alone plugins + GPL, let alone
scripted-language + plugins + GPL.  Again, this was the exact tangent I was
trying to avoid.  Let's just leave it as: there are multiple opinions, and
I'm not sure any can be 'proven correct'. ;)

Regardless, the overall answer should be: yes, Plugins can have licensing.
Whether it is GPL or otherwise may be a matter of debate, but that there IS
licensing and that it HAS rules to follow should be undeniable.  The end
result being: whatever the original license was, that copyright and
attribution should remain in any work, assuming that was a term of the
original license.

-d