[wp-hackers] "For the rest of us" theme

Charles lists06 at wiltgen.net
Sun Jul 30 23:23:29 GMT 2006

> So, basically what you're saying is that you wan't a new default
> wordpress design?

I hope to get together with a couple other people to create a very
customizable, very easy-to-use new theme that does everything the average
enthusiast would want to do without having to resort to editing text files.

It wouldn't be created under the assumption that it /would/ replace the
default theme, but it has to be more than good enough that it could.

> And then added customizable features like the widgets or how you can
> change the header color in Kubrick?

Widget support would be a basic requirement, as would the ability to
customize all theme colors/gradients and images without having to resort to
a text editor.  Some other internal guidelines off the top of my head:

	- Great user experience for authors and readers
		- Ajax everywhere it improves the UE
		- Excellent support for mobile clients, too
	- Allow authors to create radically-different looks/feels without
editing code
	- Support for popular services built-in
		- FeedBurner, AdSense, YPN, Digg, Reddit, etc.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing that offers the experience that I'd
personally like to see.

-- Charles
   <http://playbacktime.com/>