[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 06:36:13 GMT 2006

> What do you mean by auto-remove?  Your not suggesting WordPress
> automatticly disables plugins based on information from an external
> source are you - that's a surefire way to break sites!

I mean auto-uninstall routines - there will be activate plugin, deactivate
plugin, and delete plugin.. the latter of which completely wipes all
residues and deletes the files.

I want to keep this simple, no multiple URI's the plugin file itself should
contain the install and uninstall routines, not reference another external
RDF which in turn calls upon another document with install/uninstall steps.

About the different plugin versions: I think if you have a plugin for 1.5
and 2.0 that are different, and are both still actively developed, the most
logical thing is to have two separate RDFs for both - in essence making them
separate plugins, that way the RDF only provides relevant info.

I'm glad this has some support :-)

An important question: does WP need a script that can _make_ these RDF
files? I mean, is it in the role of WP, or should this be an external
script?

ATM I'm just going to focus on setting up this new API, making it work, and
I guess we can go from there.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog