[wp-hackers] Development Process

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Jul 29 06:43:34 GMT 2006

> It's already been done.  The three very simple plugin headers defined
> here look good to me.
>
> http://mattread.com/projects/wp-plugins/installer-the-plugin/
>
> And yes, we would include it in the core.  I'd like to get something
> into 2.2.

It uses PVS :(

If we want as many people to use it as possible, I think it should be a
proprietary format, some sort of plaintext or wizard-based implementation.

By plaintext I mean if you have domain.com/plugins/myplugin.php there should
be a file right then and there called /plugins/myplugin.php.ver which simply
has the product version and a direct link to it.

Wizard-based implementations might be a nifty script in the plugin
management center that generates or updates the RSS file for you and
includes the latest version of the plugin the same way podcasts include the
audio files, a brief summary/changelog, and the title as the version number.

I like the second idea more, both of these are 100% cross-platform
compatible, and the first is easier, but the second is much more powerful,
allowing for direct integration to quite a few things.

Regards,

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/