[wp-hackers] Development Process

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Thu Jul 27 15:04:29 GMT 2006

Computer Guru wrote:
>> I know this issue has been discussed before, at-length, but I think
>> it's finally time to start addressing it in an official capacity.
>>

> It boils down to one thing: this requires _external_ server.
> Look at Akismet or Pingomatic. The two external services WP uses. So slow!!
>
> Now imagine the kind of stress a universal plugin server would cause. Just imagine.

I'm not advocating for a shared hosting environment - a dedicated
server/set of servers properly load-balanced would obviously be the
right route to pursue.

However, I'm not advocating checking each and every plugin every time an
admin page loads - plug the whole thing into the cron infrastructure and
have it run once daily or so, user-selectable of course, nor am I
advocating keeping the plugins themselves on official servers.  The info
on the centralized servers would be mere package headers and a pointer
to the right place to download updates.  (This, like the rest of the
scheme, would be highly dependent on plugin authors to Do The Right
Thing, of course, and publish their files in easily-accessible
locations, keep meta info up to date, etc.).

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com