[wp-hackers] Questions about the Cache

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Jul 25 20:59:21 GMT 2006

Brian Layman wrote:
>> I got my article posted on Friday:
>> http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/2006/07/21/using-the-wordpress-object-cache
>
> I'm glad you informed the list.
>
> Good article.  Thank you.
>
> I am assuming that wp_cache_get() will return FALSE, if ENABLE_CACHE is not
> defined.  So, it is safe to write the code directly using wp_cache_get
> rather than checking the ENABLE_CACHE value every time.  Is that correct?

ENABLE_CACHE means that "persistent" caching is enabled. Even if the
persistent cache is disabled, the in-memory cache that is tossed with
each page load is still operational.  wp_cache_get() will retrieve
values from that in-memory cache.  A typical page load does
get_option('siteurl') many times.  If we didn't cache the siteurl value
to memory, we would have to make dozens of round trips to the DB.

ENABLE_CACHE and DISABLE_CACHE aren't part of the API and shouldn't be
used in plugins.  They are simply wp-config settings that control the
default cache.

Ryan