[wp-hackers] RE: apache 2.2.2 upgrade

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Sat Jul 15 07:12:28 GMT 2006

On Jul 14, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Scot Hacker wrote:

> So I've inferred that caching is fully present and working.
>
> But I also  keep seeing references to WP-Cache 2, as if caching
> were NOT already present in WP 2.
>
> What's the real caching deal?

WP 2.0+ includes an object-caching system.  It caches data objects
frequently used by WP, e.g. user data, category data, page data.  The
system is pluggable, but has built-in support for caching to the
filesystem.  This system was enabled by default in 2.0 and 2.0.1

In 2.0.2, it was turned off, because certain setups were causing
problems.  So now it has to be intentionally enabled in wp-config.php
in order to work.

This system, no matter what backend it uses (there are drop in
backends for APC and Memcached), is not a substitute for WP-Cache2.
The benefits of the built-in object cache are small, but WP-Cache2
can give you several orders of magnitude more page-serving power,
because it caches the HTML output of pages for a particular URL +
Cookie combination.  Cached hits use no DB calls and very little
processing power (as WP isn't fully loaded for the hit).

Both systems offer speed and throughput benefits, and complement each
other, as they cache different things.  The built-in cache speeds up
your dynamic hits, and WP-Cache2 caches your dynamic hits so that
subsequent hits use fewer resources.
--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/