[wp-hackers] Close old comments and pingbacks: feature or plugin?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 16:35:37 GMT 2006

two things:

1. I included 'nonce' in that sentence specifically as nonce stuff is
typically non-user-intervention methods (via JS mostly, though some could be
done with just form-embedded bits depending on the spammers!).

2. bitmap font captchas certainly would, but there are numerous captcha
systems that are tolerant (Pick X from the list below, type the Xth word of
this sentence, etc.).  They may not be as 'friendly' as no auth method at
all, but again there ARE captcha methods that don't exclude the blind.

I'm all for usability, but at some points you need to 'raise the bar' to
prevent spammers -- that bar could be 'JS-required', or some sort of
captcha, or the best captcha of all: registration. ;)

I use CG-AntiSpam (my 'SpamKarma' equiv) and CG-Referrer in combination to
combat spam -- they have some of the same functions that SK and BB have, but
I've now seen BB block things that would drive many non-techie site owners
nuts.  That's not that BB is bad, it's that people out there with legit
sites don't always have 'perfect scripts'. ;)

-d