[wp-hackers] apache 2.2.2 upgrade

Aaron Brazell emmensetech at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 20:00:25 GMT 2006

On 7/13/06, Christopher J. Hradil <chradil at comcast.net> wrote:

> Over the past week I did a number of upgrades to one of my development
> servers (which happens to be the box I run my personal web site on, using
> WP). Anyway, after getting everything upgraded to the versions I wanted to
> use which include Apache 2.2.2, php 4.4.2, and mySQL 4.1.x (plus a bunch
> of
> other non-relevant things, all for an upcoming project) my WP site just
> died. The server response according to the log files were 200 OK, but all
> pages were just showing up as blank white pages.
>
> Thankfully, I had backed everything up as I normally do when I do
> something
> like that, I also dumped the content of my WP database. I then dropped all
> of the wp DB tables, and ran wp install again, then reloaded all of my
> content. everything was up and running again within minutes with no
> problems
> that I can see.
>
> My point is, that as other folks upgrade things like apache/mySQL are they
> going to run into the same kinds of issues ?
> has anyone seen anything like this happen before ?
>
> If this is a common situation I'd like to at least see that we get a quick
> post to the codex about possible issues in upgrading. I've taken a look at
> some upgrade issues discussed in the forum so far but haven't seen too
> much
> along these lines. Adoption of the 2.-x branch of apache has been pretty
> slow for a number of reasons (especially for the hosting providers), but I
> have the feeling that's about to change, and can see a huge flood of these
> kinds of issues hitting the forums, etc all at once as more folks move up
> the 2.x branch if there is some kind of common issue, which I'm not sure
> if
> it's related to php or Apache in my situation. I've eliminated the DB as
> the
> issue because I did that upgrade a couple of months ago and everything was
> working fine until I flipped over to Apache 2.2.2 with mod_php 4.4.2, so
> the
> issue was with one of those.
>
> The wp install process, as well as db reload all went super smooth as I
> mentioned. the site wasn't down for more than 15 minutes, but the point is
> after the upgrades things should have just continue to run as normal. A
> couple of other php apps on the box had no problem -- including my
> "sandbox"
> install of wp located at http://hradil.us/sandbox/wp/ --- I didn't need to
> touch that one it just worked as expected. Maybe it was a specific plugin
> ?
>
> thoughts ??

I'm a WP power-user so I'll field this question.

Drop this at the top of your theme header.php:

<?php ini_set('display_errors', on'); ?>

You should find errors displaying. My feeling is this is actually a PHP
upgrade issue and plugin conflicts. We strive for cross-compatibility hard
for the core code in the WP hackers group.

Secondly, copy the contents your plugins folder out and start
replacing/activating one by one if you can. When it bombs, look at that
plugin.

Lots of things could be at issue.
--
Aaron Brazell