[wp-hackers] Trac #2361 (TB + PB to the same blog causes only the PB to show)

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Mon Jul 10 06:48:30 GMT 2006

Hmmm, I've been meaning to log this issue of prioritizing the
trackbacks.  I see it was logged and shot down by Matt:

> Pingback is better:
> *More contextual
> *Handles international encoding better
> *More spam-resistant
> *Better link text
> This is too obscure to be a preference, so just going to close.

The logic I was going to use was "Trackbacks should be done first
because they are added through a deliberate choice."

If this ticket was acted upon, Pingbacks would remain the default and
would be used 99% of the time.  The only exception would be when the
author deliberately chose to redundently add a site referenced in the
article to the Trackback field.

The user would then have a choice of which they desire to use at any
particular site.  If you prefer a pingback at a site, list it in the
article and simply don't add a Trackback.  If you want a trackback, add
one.

Under the current design, if you have a specific desire to have a
trackback added, you have to leave the link out of your article, add the
trackback, publish the article, edit the article and add the link back
to the article...

Unless there is some reasoning I am not seeing, processing trackbacks
first will only add flexiblity.  It won't depreciate pingbacks in any
fashion...