[wp-hackers] WordPress Import/Export

Aaron Brazell emmensetech at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 18:47:21 GMT 2006

On 7/6/06, Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org> wrote:

> I'm kind of partial to reformatting version numbers as a 4-digit 'MMmm'
> (MAJOR/minor, e.g., '0105', '0200', '0201') format. Even though it's
> unlikely that we'll be dealing with double-digit versions anytime soon,
> it's still a forward-looking way to easily compare versions.
>
> Just a thought.

+1

Mathematically, whole number comparisons are much more logical. I appreciate
the human readbility of 2.0.3, 2.0.4, 2.1-alpha2 but these operators are not
mathematically simpl (even though a substr( get_option('version'), 0, 3) )
is perfectly easy too - it's just more kludgey.

So maybe having an option called version and an option called build would be
better in the future? Of course, this is way off the topic of the WordPress
import/export.