[wp-hackers] Re: RSS Decisions

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Jan 17 22:45:09 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:
> Scott Merrill wrote:
>> Danny Ayers wrote:
>>> Again, I
>>> believe Atom alone could provide usable data for the vast majority of
>>> clients. But I see no compelling argument for the arbitrary removal of
>>> RSS 1.0 support.
>>
>>  From what you've put forward, I still don't see a compelling argument
>> to keep RDF.  Sure, some people use it.  You haven't yet proven that
>> _many_ people use it.

But neither is there evidence to the contrary. The owner of a blog is
not the primary consumer of RSS data. So asking a WordPress user "do you
use your RDF feed" is useless. And as Phil Ringnalda pointed out, simply
dropping support for it in favor of a plugin would remove a large pool
of blog data from the net. Yes, the data would still be available in
other forms, but the RDF blog format is used heavily by a rather strong
subset of technically inclined folks.

I don't think that dropping RSS 0.92 in favor of RSS 2.0 would cause
much of a ripple, but the RDF format is sufficiently different from RSS
2.0 and Atom, and sufficiently useful to justify keeping it, IMHO. The
RDF data model is very useful. It's easy to get put off by it, because
the XML serialization of RDF isn't very pretty. But RSS 1.0 provides a
flexible data framework for which there is already a fairly large
toolset available to consume and manipulate the data relations.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/