[wp-hackers] Ditch RDF and RSS 0.92

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 22:30:17 GMT 2006

On 15/01/06, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see what real problem you're trying to solve. All I see is the
> introduction of new problems for existing users and the people who
> read their feeds. They are few but they are more than you four.

How about:

* RDF and RSS 0.92 are obsolete technologies
* The files only clog up the WordPress download and root folder with
extra, pointless files.
* They have to be maintained when we change the API
* If they're not, they break, and this is bad, because things in the
core should work.

And I don't see why saying 'you need a plugin now' is an unacceptable
solution. Things moving in and out of the core are natural. Some
plugins are merged into the core, some core is moved out to plugins,
as and when different parts of WordPress become more
important/popular. We've done it before: things like Geo URLs were
moved out of the core because noone used them. And it's not like it's
a lot of trouble to install a plugin.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net