[wp-hackers] editing attachments?

Austin Matzko if.website at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 21:02:12 GMT 2006

Attachments reside in the posts table, just like posts, except they
have status = "attachment".

Say you try to edit an attachment like so, where "3" is the ID of the
attachment in the posts table:
/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=3

In WP 2.0, you get an error because WP tries to include a non-existent
file named "edit-attachment-form.php"

In the latest nightly, you can edit the attachment's description,
although you're not able to change the guid field, which is the link
to the attachment itself (picture or whatever).

So my question is, what are the developers' plans for editing
attachments?  What I'd like to see is a tab named "Attachments"
alongside "Posts" and "Pages" under "Manage", so that you can edit
attachments just like posts and pages.  I'm writing a plugin for 2.0
that will do just that, but I'd like to know if there are plans afoot
to put such a feature in the core.