[wp-hackers] Alternative Licences for WP Plugins?

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Thu Jan 12 21:32:34 GMT 2006

Theodor Ramisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to write a WordPress plugin. The codex means
> that I have to release it under GPL or a GPL
> compatible license. Why?

Because the GPL is intended to preserve freedom.  Efforts to restrict
freedoms work against the purpose of the GPL.

> The problem is that I don't want that anybody copies my plugin, adds
> some lines and sells it.
> As far as I understood, the GPL allows this.
>
> Is that true? If not, is there a human-readable
> description of the GPL and its derivatives?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

The GPL FAQ might help, too:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

> Or may I release my plugin under creative
> commons licence?

Any GPL-compatible license will satisfy the GPL:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35