[wp-hackers] Freezing $now to increase query cache benefit

John Joseph Bachir jjb at ibiblio.org
Fri Jan 6 04:31:51 GMT 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, David Chait wrote:

> There's a strong alternative: don't filter based on post date at all,
> and move future-posts out of the 'normal flow'.  Future posts already
> want to ping when they 'arrive', so the same cron/timing facility could
> actually change a post state from, say, 'future' to 'publish' when the
> post time passes.  That'd eliminate the extra query param entirely from
> the 'average' query (I could see wanting to filter by date for other
> reasons... but I think this'd all work nicely).  Thoughts?

This is certainly an interesting optimization strategy-- designing a
system/schema around the idea of changing the generated sql queries as
infrequently as possible in order to maximize cache hits. If the
future-post system was changed in core to have the behavior of Mark's
plugin, which would cut a big query out of every front page hit of a
WordPress blog, think of all the sql processing that would be saved all
around the world! :) Also, I wonder where else in wordpress we could do
something similar?

John
--
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org