[wp-hackers] Autosave

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Tue Jan 3 16:33:06 GMT 2006

Scott Merrill wrote:
> What is not a big deal to you _is_ a big deal to others.  WordPress is
> used by a lot of people because it allows them to display their blog in
> the way they want.  People _like_ the /id/title/ permalink structure,
> and many of them are anal about contiguous post IDs.  It is entirely
> their perogative to use -- and rely on -- this feature.  A modification
> that breaks this feature would be seen as a real bug for many many people.

Does anyone on this list actually object to post id's being out of
perfect order? Or are the objections on part of 'others'?

If you are one of those people, do you never use the draft feature?
(Surely, you couldn't with out incrementing your postid's out of order
-- Lest you go through some major tomfoolery to get them back in order.)

Would it be sufficient to simply turn off the autosave? Would you feel
like you're getting the shaft that you can't autosave without messing up
your post id's?

In my opinion, this objection to what could be a incredibly useful
feature, would deprive the majority of users a very useful feature while
(as in many cases) simply catering to the "vocal majority".