[wp-hackers] Autosave

Graeme Lennon graeme at samurai.com
Mon Jan 2 19:27:50 GMT 2006

> I wouldn't want in-progress changes to an already-published post to be
> auto-saved and shown to my users every minute or so. I also wouldn't
> want to post unpublished to a draft or duplicated to a draft. However it
> would be handy if my browser crashed while I was editing, I could
> recover that edited version of the already published post.

I hadn't thought of that.

I'm pro-DB in this case. What about storing the auto-saved data in a
custom field, rather than the "real" body? If the field is populated,
when the post is edited pop-up a warning box, or put a big field at the
top of the page (like we do when we change settings, for example)
informing the user that there is data to be recovered.

Since the custom field should never need to be human-friendly, it could
be a serialized copy of all the other fields as well, allowing auto-save
of title, slug, excerpt, etc.

g.