[wp-hackers] Autosave

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Jan 2 19:00:49 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> I do love the way that gmail does this. If I remember correctly, at
> one minute intervals, gmail saves a copy of what you are writing as a
> draft. There is a small, unobtrusive button, that lets you "Save Now"
> if you just wrote something you really don't want to lose. You can
> then close your browser, or browse elsewhere, come back, and pick up
> where you left off.

I'm hesitant to put auto-saves or emergency recovery info in the posts
table. The publishing model of WP is very different from Gmail. In Gmail
you are composing until it is sent, then it's gone forever. In WordPress
you may edit something constantly.

I wouldn't want in-progress changes to an already-published post to be
auto-saved and shown to my users every minute or so. I also wouldn't
want to post unpublished to a draft or duplicated to a draft. However it
would be handy if my browser crashed while I was editing, I could
recover that edited version of the already published post.

I'm not sold on the DB vs. cookies idea yet. I've been on a lot of
high-latency connections the past month and there is something to be
said for the instant nature of a local cookie store. (Yum!)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://akismet.com