[wp-hackers] Autosave

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 12:55:13 GMT 2006

On 02/01/06, Jeff Minard <jeff at jrm.cc> wrote:
> When I read the "one bucket at a time" thing, I too said "well, that
> works in a world where you only have one input, but the web is a
> multi-access media!" Would each user get thier own "bucket"? Can a
> higher access user edit/view/delete other people's buckets?

Each user would of course get their own bucket, it's a user option ;)
Why would a higher-access user want to edit/view/delete other buckets?
It's a temporary dump location, not a place to store posts.

> The concern was raised that auto drafting would cause post ID bloat. To
> be blunt, "So what?" Does your posts ID being out of sync (say, if you
> really didn't want that Cat Masterpiece) really going to be a problem?
> So it goes /post/11/ then /post/15/ (it was a very bad Masterpiece) --
> what would that break?

People don't like their IDs conspicuously increasing. Yes, ID is a
BIGINT, but people still don't like it, and will complain about it.

> Amit mentioned that this could be done as a plugin -- probably. But if
> the focus of WP (as iterated many times) is to make a bloggers life
> easier ... well, life is a lot easier when you're not worried about
> whether you should be saving or not and you get to focus on just writing
> your piece.

+1. This should be core. No-one needs crash recovery until their
computer crashes, then suddenly everyone needs it ;)

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net