[wp-hackers] Autosave

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:48:19 GMT 2006

On 1/2/06, Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
> I considered this but it runs up against the issue of the needlessly
> autoincremented post ID. Plenty of people rally against this effect
> whenever it occurs.

Where is the problem there? wp_posts.ID is a BIGINT(20), which can
hold an enormous range of numbers, and I honestly can't see anyone
ever reaching its limit.

> Gmail's draft system is very nice but to do the same in WP would be to
> insert a row in wp_posts every time, not something I would do without
> user initiative.

Why would you need to do that? Just treat an auto-saved article as a
draft, and whenever the "save automatically" event is fired (say once
a minute, or every 100 keystrokes), you update the existing draft
rather than inserting a new row - in other words it would have the
same effect as me clicking the "save" button. I draft nearly every
single one of the articles on my blogs, and I never have a problem
with needless rows in wp_posts.

Paul

--
Data Circle