[wp-hackers] Wordpress 1.5 downloads

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Sun Jan 1 20:33:45 GMT 2006

Aaron Brazell wrote:
>>All I can say is I need to do more. In particular, I choose a category
>>for almost every post. I almost never leave it as "Uncategorized". Now
>>that's a two-step process.
>

> It only needs to be a two-step process the first time. You expand the
> Categories menu, select the category, write the post. The next time, as
> long as you don't minimize the categories menu, it is still expanded
> and categories are immediately accessible. What's the problem?

As long as you use that computer.  Switch to a different PC, and you're
back to clicking.

Don't pontificate on what's not a problem for you.  If it's a problem
for someone else, then we should not minimize the complaint just because
we don't agree with it.

>>I'm curious. Has any actual user testing been done on WordPress? In
>>other words, has anyone put non-developer users in front of a WordPress
>>system, asked them to perform tasks, and watched them to see how they
>>do, and what confuses them? I suspect the results would be informative.
>>There are some other problems I've noticed in the UI, but so far those
>>are all common to 1.5 and 2.0.
>>

> Anybody can sign up for beta testing, downloading SVN updates,

Sure, anyone can; and anyone can make suggestions and even offer some
mock-ups for improvement.  A lot of discussion can result, with some
energy building; and then nothing really happens.
   http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2005-June/001519.html

WordPress isn't designed by committee, and a lot of things that people
actively dislike continue to be rolled in (nofollow, feed: (thankfully
removed), etc).  I don't think formalized (or even informal) user
testing would do any real good unless there was a mechanism to ensure
that the fruits of the testing would translate into product changes.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35