[wp-hackers] Wordpress 1.5 downloads

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Sun Jan 1 20:04:58 GMT 2006

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> David House wrote:
>
>> Of course, that's not the real issue. No-one should prefer 1.5 to 2.0.
>> If you have issues, list them and we'll fix them.
>

> There's one big issue that make me want to stay with 1.5: it's not
> nearly as easy or as comfortable to write a new post in 2.0 as in 1.5.
>
> I'm not sure how serious or how deep that problem is. Some of it might
> even be customizations I made in 1.5 that I haven't yet made in 2.0.
> however, there are three specific issues:
>
> 1. The input textarea for new posts is about half the size it is in 2.0.
> Writing is what WP is all about. Give me enough space to work in.

The text area is resizeable. In fact, it will "stick" to the length you
determine once you do it (via a ccookie). Also, you can still set the
height on the text area in the options.

> 2. The font used on this page for input is too small. It needs to be at
> least two points  larger by default.

I can't address this one :/

> 3. The category list is hidden behind a button rather than being up
> front as it is in 1.5.2. That means what used to be a one step process
> to change the category is now a two-step process. Ditto for the Post
> status, post slug, etc.

This is minorly contradicting with you next statement about the focus of
wordpress. If WP is to focus on writing, most of these things are
extremely supplimentary. Most the time anyone who's just going to blog
needs only two things:

1) Title
2) Content

Xanga, Livejournal, MySpace, etc are all build around that central
"title, type, and post" theme and are successful in getting people to
use that.

With WP you *have* all those extras, but we hide them because they are
secondary to writing. Also, I believe that the rolled-out/in status of
the category, excerpt, etc boxes "sticks" via cookies. (If I am wrong
about this, I would consider it a bug.)

> Short version: I want the old write post page back.

I believe someone wrote a plugin which returns the entire 2.0 admin
interface back to the 1.5.2 look and feel. This may be right up your ally.