[wp-hackers] theme-based functions.php should override pluggable-functions.php

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sat Feb 18 16:01:25 GMT 2006

Aaron Brazell wrote:
> I do agree there's differences between functions.php and plugins (for
> instance the added layer of protection from activation being required) --
> but then I'm talking about overriding pluggable-functions, not critical
> functionality.

Not-critical functionality like user authentication?

The reason themes now have functions.php is so that they can provide
specialized output and configuration options, not additional functionality.

Themes should use their functions.php to be plugin-aware, not replace
the functionality provided by plugins.

Owen