[wp-hackers] Data recovery (post_status?)

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Feb 12 23:40:52 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:

> It seems I have a very different idea about how users should be
> responsible for the sanctity of their data, and that adding features to
> account for (however fleeting, accidental, or gross) user incompetence
> are *convenience features* made out to seem required by UI experts.

Poor software design is the fault of the software designer, not the
user. Software that does not fit users' natural mental model is poorly
designed. Software that does not support undo is poorly designed.
Software that requires the user to read manuals to accomplish obvious
operations is poorly designed.

It's no surprise that most programmers attempt to evade their
responsibility and pass the blame to end users. What's surprising is
that end users let them get away with this. Users have sadly been
trained to think that their misunderstanding is somehow their fault.
This too, will change. Eventually users will no more put up with a
poorly designed piece of software than they would a poorly designed car.
  Until that day comes, software that is better designed will triumph
over worse designed software. (Notable exception: software that is
imposed on users from above without free user choice. Most operating
system and office software falls into this category.)

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu