[wp-hackers] Re: Simplicity in 2.next

Craig nuclearmoose at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:22:48 GMT 2006

I think David has a good point here, regarding the upgrade process. Here is
a cut/paste of the upgrade process as described in the Codex:

   1. Backup your
database<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_1:_Backup_your_database>.
   Read Backing Up Your
Database<http://codex.wordpress.org/Backing_Up_Your_Database>for a
detailed explanation.
   2. Backup ALL your WordPress
files<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_2:_Backup_ALL_your_WordPress_files>in
your WordPress directory. Don't forget your
   .htaccess <http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary#.htaccess.3C> file.
   3. Verify the
backups<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_3:_Verify_the_backups>you
created are there and usable. This is essential.
   4. Deactivate ALL your
Plugins<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_4:_Deactivate_ALL_your_Plugins>.

   5. Ensure first four steps are
completed<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_5:_Ensure_first_four_steps_are_completed>.
   Do not attempt the upgrade unless you have completed the first four steps.
   6. Download and extract the WordPress
package<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_6:_Download_and_extract_the_WordPress_package>from
   http://wordpress.org/download/.
   7. Delete the old WordPress
files<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_7:_Delete_the_old_WordPress_files>on
your site, but
   *DO NOT DELETE*
      - wp-config.php file;
      - wp-content folder; Special Exception: the
wp-content/cachefolder should be deleted.
      - wp-images folder;
      - wp-includes/languages/ folder--if you are using a language
      file do not delete that folder;
      - .htaccess file--if you have added custom rules to your
      .htaccess, do not delete it.
   8. Upload the new
files<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_8:_Upload_the_new_files>from
your computer's hard drive to the appropriate WordPress folder on your
   site.
   9. Run the WordPress upgrade
program<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_9:_Run_the_WordPress_upgrade_program>and
follow the instructions on the screen.
   10. Update Permalinks and
.htaccess<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_10:_Update_Permalinks_and_.htaccess>.
   Update your Permalink Structure and merge the custom rules, if necessary,
   into your .htaccess <http://codex.wordpress.org/Glossary#.htaccess.3C>file.
   11. Install updated Plugins and
Themes<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_11:_Install_updated_Plugins_and_Themes>.
   Please review the list of Plugins that work in Version
2.0<http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Matt/2.0_Plugin_Compatibility>and
check if your Theme author has a new version.
   12. Reactivate
Plugins<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_12:_Reactivate_Plugins>
   13. Review what has changed in
WordPress<http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress#Step_13:_Review_what_has_changed_in_WordPress>.

Thirteen steps, and many of the step involve more explicit information
located on other Codex pages. This is all well and good for seasoned users,
but holy shit, imagine yourself as being a rank amateur to all of this and
visit that Codex page. Is it any wonder why many folks balk at upgrading,
unless it's absolutely critical vis a vis a security update?

Are we discussing the simplification of version 2.next in terms of
development environment or user environment? I assume we are talking about
both. Want to seriously make life on the support forums easier for the
volunteers? Build an upgrade tool that does a lot of the above thirteen
steps.

Yeah, I know, easy for me to say, and given that an auto-updater would
require some preemptive changes to WP and such, it may be a bit of the cart
before the horse to suggest. That said, I have always thought of ugrading WP
as a pain given that I have often tweaked or altered specific code to
customize my blog. I have to track those changes and re-apply them after an
upgrade, and it makes the process onerous at times. Takes a lot of the fun
out of maintaining the blog.

Craig.
Nuclear Moose.