[wp-hackers] Re: Simplicity in 2.next

David Coppit david at coppit.org
Fri Feb 10 03:15:08 GMT 2006

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I just upgraded to 2.0.1 and was
struck again by how amazingly difficult the upgrade is. Actually once you
hit the web upgrade page all is easy, but before that all is not.

- Back up files
- Back up database
- Unpack files
- Delete old files, but not x, y, z
- Move over new files
- diff old and new wp-content directories to see if default plugins were
   upgraded
- Do web upgrade
- Activate plugins
- Reinstall WPG2 because I accidentally deleted the wp-gallery2.php file
   in the base directory.

I wish the release articles just had a "click here to being upgrade" link
that would tell Wordpress to download the latest release version, then
automatically do almost all of the above steps. It would overwrite the
existing files, ask you delete files that are obsolete, reactivate
plugins, etc.

Compare the WP upgrade process to Gallery2, for example.

David

David Coppit                           david at coppit.org
The College of William and Mary        http://coppit.org/

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?" -- Albert Einstein