[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next [s]

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Feb 8 23:03:54 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 22:07 +0000, Peter Westwood wrote:
> Does this firefox style extension manager require to be able to install
> the updates?

Ideally, yes.  File management is a pain though, so we'd have to degrade
nicely in those environments where we can't do the install
automatically.

> Or is the one I suggested in this [1] thread good enough?
>
> If it is good enough - I'll get to work on it.

Just checking for updates is a good start.  We also need to check
plugins for updates during upgrades and deactivate any plugins that
require updates prior to running the WP upgrade.  Owen and Andy
discussed this elsewhere in the thread.

Take a look at the firefox rdf files (install.rdf, contents.rd, etc.)
and what they have in them.  We need to decide if we need separate rdf
files, or if we can just add some fields to the plugin header.  Using
the plugin header is nice because it allows us to continue offering
one-file plugins.

We should probably bump this into its own thread.  If you want to get a
proposal going, start a "Plugin Manager" thread.  Researching what
firefox does and finding out what the relevant bits of the extension
rdfs are would be helpful.

Ryan