[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Wed Feb 8 14:51:26 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren wrote:

> Right.  The best situation is where we could get a patch upstreamed to
> the original author.  But if they're unresponsive, we need to be able to
> commit a fix that will allow people to upgrade.  Think linux distro
> model.
>
> Ryan

That seems like a particularly unhelpful analogy to be following here.
Linux distros ship a lot of software with each release and are
responsible for insuring that all that software works together.
WordPress' model is exactly the opposite: you get core functionality and
Hello Dolly, nothing else.  Unless you're proposing shipping a massive
.zip/.tar.gz with every bloody plugin known to the WP community, I fail
to see the comparison as a valid one.

Most plugins are the work of a single author, with little code control
or existing bug tracking interface.  The best way to keep plugins
working and up to date is to bug the authors, a task which is best left
to a decentralized infrastructure (i.e., let the people who use the
plugins annoy the plugin authors).

I think something along the lines of the old One-Click installs from
wp-plugins.net or the direction that Alchemy/Elixir were heading is a
much better idea, IMNSHO.

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com