[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Feb 8 01:26:50 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:
> If wp-plugins.org is not the official place that provides announcements,
> downloads, and support for a plugin that I write, then what advantage do
> I get by confusing users with what is essentially an irregularly updated
> mirror?
>
> What are the benefits of the official plugin infrastructure beyond
> hosting?  When talking about promotion, are we talking about promoting
> the plugins or their authors?  How does that happen?

If a plugin in wp-plugins needs to be updated to work with a new
release, the crack team of plugin gardeners can fix it and commit the
change.  I can't fix a plugin that lives in a repository to which I do
not have committ access.  That's the main advantage from my point of view.

So, if we have to break some compatibility during a WP development
cycle, I can write a script that crawls across the wp-plugins repository
looking for plugins that need to be updated.  When we bust post_status
up into post_status and post_type, for example, this ability will be
very handy.  I can see what the impact on plugins will be.

Ryan