[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Kimmo Suominen kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com
Tue Feb 7 23:00:52 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 09:57:51PM +0000, Peter Westwood wrote:

> Owen Winkler wrote:
> > Regarding plugin hosting at wp-plugins.org:
> >
> > There is no way for me to add new projects (a few line items relate to
> > circumventing the manual email to photomatt to enable these repos).
> > I can't grant and deny access to my projects to other users.
> > I can't configure notifications (or any action) on svn commits.
> > Trac is cluttered with many commits, tickets, and wiki changes that are
> > unimportant to people seeking information specifically about my plugin.
> > There is no email notification of new tickets.
> > There is no dedicated self-support forum located there for my plugin.
> > I get no traffic at my site for what plugins are hosted there.
> > I can't track downloads to monitor which plugins need the most attention.
> > I can't create private projects there, or restrict access to just the
> > trunk for allowing access only to tagged versions.
> > Downloading of the plugins themselves may be difficult for visitors when
> > the plugin consists of more than one file.
> > Providing clear version-specific downloads is difficult.
> > Abandoned projects are not culled, leaving my project to be found
> > amongst dozens of dead or unfinished projects.
> > There is no directory of plugins.
> > There is no vetting of plugins that are included, in spite of some
> > desire that there should be.
> >

> +1 to all of these

<AOL> Me too </AOL>

> The biggest feature of my personal development process that drives me
> aways from wp-plugins.org and to personally hosted svn is keeping things
> private until they are finished.
>
> I like to check in when I have finished a feature but not necessarily
> finished the code.  It may then be a few days before I have more time to
>  work on the code and I don't want an unsuspecting user downloading the
> code because it was freely available on wp-plugins.org

You might want to check out svk -- it has the ability to mirror
repositories (both CVS and Subversion in addition to svk repositories).
If you setup a mirror and a local copy of the mirror, you can then work
on the copy until you are happy with the code.  Then you can sync up
to the centralized repository through the mirror.  (The sync preserves
all commit logs, and you can either produce a single commit or multiple
commits to the remote repository on sync.)

Alternatively you could setup the centralized repo as a mirror of your
own repository, but you still need the copy for day-to-day commits.

    http://svk.elixus.org/

Still, my plugins (not being that many) are in my local CVS, and so far
there hasn't been a need for bug tracking (but I happen to have the bug
tracking system already setup as well, for other projects).  With all
the infrastructure in place locally, I can see little reason on my side
to move to wp-plugins.org.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--