[wp-hackers] 2.next - faster

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 21:39:26 GMT 2006

As I mentioned in the earlier 2.next, maybe it is time to 'adopt' wp-cache
(which is an offshoot of matt's own Staticize -- correct me if I'm recalling
wrongly...) back into the core?  Even as a plugin, it'd be great.  If
actually integrated, it should be an option (like the object cache should
be).

Stats have shown wp-cache to be one of the biggest wins aside from purely
static-page generation (or lightpress).

Any testing of ways to improve the speed of the non-cached system on general
hosting (shared) would be good.  For instance, maybe one particular query
being cached would make an impact, or adding a few keys here or there?

Also, discussion/testing of 'optional environments' would be good,
especially if we can find hosts willing to 'play ball with us'.  I'm
thinking specifically thttpd and/or lighttpd, which have proven speed over
apache (and big, major sites use one of the two in many cases for static
content, but they've proven useful for php as well...).

-d