[wp-hackers] 2.next - faster

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Feb 6 21:08:02 GMT 2006

_____/ On Mon 06 Feb 2006 20:40:44 GMT, [Scott johnson] wrote : \_____

> On 2/6/06, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>>
>> _____/ On Mon 06 Feb 2006 20:09:59 GMT, [Matt Mullenweg] wrote : \_____
>>
>> > The last thread about the next version of WP had some interesting
>> > ideas in it, but I think the question may have been framed the wrong
>> > way. What I'm far more interested in working on for the next version
>> > is this:
>> >
>> > <snip />
>> >
>> > How can we make it faster?
>>

>> Faster to /use/? Or is it a matter of load handling? Or responsiveness?
>> It's a rope that you can always pull in different directions.
>>
>> <snip />
>
> Faster, imho, involves tradeoffs at this point.

Yes, but the definition of "fast" is of importance here. I edit my PHP-Nuke
sites using WordPress because it is fast and responsive (well, it used to
be more of that). In terms of page delivery, all is merely the same, but
for content creation, WordPress is excellent. A previous message of mine
raised the possibility of adding keybindings, but judging by the silence,
many tend to disagree or disregard that.

> My gut just on web apps is
> that faster means "look hard at the SQL". For example I learned TONS about
> mysql scaling at Feedster that I think is applicable but it starts to get
> specialized like memcache support, write versus read servers, etc.,
> seriously playing with your table structure, etc.

The last point conflicts with backward compatibility, unless you consider
some opaque conversions.

> Faster in what environment???  I'm happy to contribute ideas but given the
> spectrum of sites WP runs on this question has major ramifications

One has to accept the fact that WordPress cannot remain feather-light,
assuming it extends to offer more hooks and keep up with flashy
technologies which the competition boasts.

I am admittedly among those who prefer Web-based bloatware at times,
especially if it obviates the need to run around the Web, collecting your
favourite 'bits', keeping them up-to-date (without interference) to create
a customised CMS 'distribution'.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
  9:00pm  up 20 days 16:16,  11 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.49, 0.53