[wp-hackers] Make WP_Rewrite eaiser to use

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Sun Feb 5 17:46:38 GMT 2006

David House wrote:
> Reading through the recent thread concerning Scott Merril's troubles
> with WP_Rewrite [1], I thought that we really should automate a lot of
> what is in the final plugin [2]. People (well, Owen) have been asking
> for a while that WP_Rewrite should be easier to use. I'm not proposing
> a full rewrite of WP_Rewrite, but I do think we should provide more
> API to help the mortal plugin authors understand it.

Well, a full rewrite of WP_Rewrite seems impractical, but the code that
is there is nigh incomprehensible.  I think much of the problem with
adding new rewrite rules is that it is very difficult to look at the
code, watch execution through it, and locate the best place to insert
anything new.

Perhaps adding a couple of extra API hooks for making rewriting easier
would be beneficial to the many plugin developers who have recently
expressed an interest in adding their own rules.  This doesn't solve the
more fundamental problem that the extant code is hard to read and, by
extension, maintain.

Owen