[wp-hackers] Development for 2.next

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Feb 3 14:17:48 GMT 2006

Scott Merrill wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> One thing I've advocated is that there be a direct URL in WP-Cron for
>> wget'ing it from a real cron.  This would allow for reliable execution
>> that doesn't potentially delay any site output.  It would still work the
>> same way, executing hooks based on preset intervals, but it could be
>> made to do it more regularly.
>
> I asked in #wordpress for details about this awhile back, but I forget
> if you answered.  Do you want a single "?cron=go" trigger, which merely
> executes whatever hook is next scheduled to fire; or do you want more
> granularity ( "?cron=60" or "?cron=15" ) in order to specifically call
> just the hooks you want?

I think that a "?cron=go" is probably sufficient, as long as the cron is
executed as frequently as wp-cron needs.

My suggestion would also be to store the last time wp-cron was executed
via "?cron=go" in options.  Pseudo-cron would not be triggered if the
option had a time stored for the last "?cron=go" request that was more
recent than the required minimum duration between cron executions (15
minutes?).  That way you can avoid a user option for turning off
pseudo-cron AND have more reliable execution for when cron isn't working
or is improperly configured, since pseudo-cron would execute if a
scheduled cron was somehow skipped.

Owen