[wp-hackers] New Default Theme in 2.1?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sun Dec 24 12:19:57 GMT 2006

___/ On Thu 21 Dec 2006 10:41:47 GMT, [ Matt Mullenweg ] wrote : \___

> Jeremy Visser wrote:
>> I knew that. I'm just worried you'll create a new default theme, and
>> leave Kubrick's folder called 'default' for the sake of compatibility.
>
> The way theme file fallback works many themes might be relying on
> Kubrick's PHP files being in default and not even realize it.
>
>> Yeah, in fact, Kubrick is the reason I first found out about WordPress.
>> At the time, the blog at http://whereswalden.com/ (specifically I was
>> linked to the post
>> <http://whereswalden.com/2005/02/25/firefox-prefwindowv/>) was running
>> Kubrick. Because it was the first time I'd seen that theme, I was
>> captivated, went to the WordPress link featured in the footer,
>> downloaded WordPress, and now I'm a WordPress user!
>
> That's a pretty neat story, doubly so now that you're participating in
> WP development discussion.

Default themes play an hugely important role. Quick-and-dirty bloggers
don't bother to changing them. At a certain point, visual identity
become a force that restricts alternation. It was a pretty theme that
had me download WordPress back in 2004. WordPress wasn't even a
'household name' at the time.

While Ballmer yells out "developeH^s, developeH^s, developeH^s", let's
not forget that WordPress is beyond hackers. It's needs "designers,
designers, designers". The theme contests are just as important as
those template contests for OpenOffice.org.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz